Monday, February 24, 2014

Babies, Altars, and Sacrifices


A few months ago, when my daughter was just beginning to walk, my husband and I were watching a movie in the bedroom when she walked into our room dragging a baby doll. She pulled it by the leg across the floor, and flopped it down on my altar before sitting on the floor and singing. Without missing a beat, my husband looked at me and said matter-of-factually, "Ah, she has prepared the sacrifice...". 

We both had a good laugh and watched her put toys on the altar. This wasn't shocking to either of us, because she had been interested in my little corner of the room since she could crawl. My altar has nothing shiny or colorful on it; Its just a small wooden chest. Nevertheless, she has always wanted to play around it and set her treasures on it. This was one of the main reasons that I had given up my nightly Altar Devotions, as well as a few other spiritual practices (God knows meditation was out the window). There were many aspects of my old ways of worship that I had sacrificed to spend more time with her, because she was either too distracting, too antsy, or just not willing to sit with her Dad for a few minutes. As you can imagine, this was a bit upsetting because it felt like a huge part of who I am had been neglected ever since I had become a new mom. Aside from a toddler grabbing lit candles, there was always something more pressing that needed to be done that kept me away from the alter. 

One day after about a year without meditating, I sat down in front of my little sanctuary, and meditated on the Triple-Goddess as Mother. While drifting along in this light trance state, my daughter played with her toys on the floor next to me. I listened to her chattering and singing as I connected to the presence of the Great Mother, and all mothers that came before me. It dawned on me that mothers of the past didn't have play-pens. Mother witches would have had their little ones with them during any magickal workings, and they would have adapted. After that mediation, I felt a completely new connection to my daughter on a spiritual level. Yes, having a baby threw a wrench into my old ways of worship, but the Universe gave me an opportunity to create new practices, try louder rituals, and include her in some of the most meaningful moments of my life. 


A few adjustments that I made included making a family altar and doing devotions with my daughter rather than in my room by myself. We now have a large wooden shelf in our kitchen that acts as an altar that the whole family is welcome to add to, and is a fabulous idea for any kitchen witch. As for devotions, I do miss the quiet moments of reflection that I rarely get these days, but It is very rewarding to connect to the Divine throughout the day as well. One popular devotion for Pagan families that we are slowly incorporating is "Pagan grace". Also, on days that I am up before the sun, I stand outside or at a window, raise my arms, and say a simple affirmation to guide me through my day, such as:


"I am a Witch.

I am at one with the Earth, the Universe, and the Divine.
Let this day be free from strife and fear.
Let only love and joy come near.
With blessings given and received, 
I walk in peace, in word and deed."

The lesson here (and overall point of this blog) is that whether you are a stressed-out mom, busy student, or anyone else who is short on time, there are still opportunities to celebrate the spiritual side of life.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reminding me that as our lives change so does our spirituality and practices. In these changes is where we grow learn and find new pleasure and grace in all things that we do.

    ReplyDelete

I value any feedback from readers, so long as it is respectful. If you would like to contact me privately about anything mentioned on this blog (whether it is a question or criticism), I would be happy to hear from you at DesperateHouseWitch@gmail.com.